The number of such people is growing rapidly, and the tools for their analysis are rapidly evolving, which makes the possession of other people’s data extremely attractive to potential attackers. This article will consider the best data loss prevention services.
What is data loss?
According to most definitions, information leakage is the unauthorized distribution of restricted data, which is not controlled by the owner of this data. This implies that the person who made the leak has the right to access the information.
Information leakage protection is defined as activities aimed at preventing the uncontrolled provision or dissemination of confidential information. The key here is the term “prevention”, since neither monitoring of data transmission, subsequent investigation of incidents, or any other activity following an already occurred leak, cannot be called protection against information leakage.
As classic examples of information leakage, one can cite unauthorized copying of confidential information to removable storage devices (for example, USB flash) and taking it out of the controlled territory of an organization, printing confidential information and taking out printed documents, unauthorized transfer of confidential information through network communication channels to external servers located outside the controlled territory of the enterprise (for example, by e-mail, via external file servers, via instant messengers, etc.).
Ways to prevent data loss
The most effective way to ensure data security on corporate computers today is the use of specialized data loss prevention (Data Leak Prevention or DLP). DLP solutions are designed to eliminate the “human factor” and suppress violations of discipline, preventing (and fixing) data leaks from the computer for as many scenarios as possible.
An effective DLP solution must control the widest possible range of network communication channels, local devices, and interfaces. At the same time, the effectiveness of a DLP solution is determined by the flexibility of settings and the ability to ensure a successful combination of business and security interests.
What tasks are designed to solve information leakage prevention systems?
- Protection of strategically important information from loss and theft.
Total or selective control of all possible technical channels of information leakage. Block Leaks – Stops invalid data transfer attempts.
- Minimizing the risks of reputational damage. Compliance.
Ensuring compliance with the requirements of Law 152-FZ and GDPR, PCI DSS, SOX, HIPAA, Basel II, etc. due to full control of data transmission channels and information storage devices, event logging, and incident investigation tools.
- Archiving and analysis of transmitted information. Detection of incidents post factum and in real-time.
Improving the efficiency of the information security service – responding in real-time to events related to data protection issues.
- Control over the implementation of the corporate policy of secure storage of data.
Proactive protection of data located in network storage and shared network resources, file systems on user computers.
The best alternatives of Data loss prevention services
There are the following options:
- Websense offers a comprehensive product Websense Triton to protect against leaks of confidential data, as well as external threats. Key benefits: unified architecture, performance, scalability, multiple delivery options, predefined policies, advanced reporting, and event analysis.
- Symantec has the next advantages: powerful functionality, a large number of methods for analysis, the ability to block leaks through any controlled channel, a built-in directory of websites, scalability, an advanced agent for analyzing events at the workstation level, rich international implementation experience and integration with others. Symantec products.
- GTB Technologies. The advantages of its solutions: high functionality, control of many protocols and channels of potential data leakage, original patented technologies, modularity, integration with IRM.